Known for its postcard-perfect beaches and cultural attractions, Grenada is a fun-loving island in the Caribbean that also hosts one of the most festive parties in the Caribbean – Spice Carnival. Set to take place the second Monday and Tuesday in August 2021, the festival is truly iconic with its over-the-top parties, colorful costumes, and elaborate parades, and we’re here to help you plan your trip by narrowing down affordable Airbnb’s near Spicemas Carnival.
The Fancy Mas’ is the most important venue of Carnival, playing host to the famous parades. Considered the ultimate Carnival event. However, for a local experience, many Grenadians partake in J’ouvert (street parties) with live music, dancing, and events.
Top Tips for Grenada Carnival
Carnival in Grenada is an experience that everyone should try at least once. The colors, the music, and the people make it one of the Caribbean’s most exciting events. With so many events and different types of parties, there are a few things you should know before you go to Grenada Carnival.
- Decide which street party you want to attend beforehand.
- Eco-friendly participants can opt for charcoal & coconut oil!
- Beware the crowd generally don’t wear much so a lot of body parts will be exposed, with sexualized dancing.
- You’re going to get dirty, oily and maybe even a little rained on. So, wear something that you don’t mind throwing out once Carnival is done.
- Carnival is an exciting event that you can participate in, or stand on the sidelines and watch the action unfold
- Get creative with glitter and adornments for your costume! Wear comfortable shoes and purchase fun accessories at street vendors throughout the city.
- It’s important to note Grenada Carnival has people knocking into each other and alcohol splashing through the air.
- Stay hydrated, as Grenada can reach 90 degrees.
- If you don’t plan to get motor oil on you, you will. And probably paint and mud!
- Be careful with your valuables by carrying a fanny pack.
- Speaker systems will be pumping loud music non-stop, so keep some distance between you and the trucks.
Why You Should Stay in St. George’s
St. Georges is one of Grenada’s best neighborhoods, popular for its nightlife, small restaurant, and sandy beach offering views of the Caribbean sea. The top Airbnbs and hotels near the Carnage and excellent transportation links make it an ideal spot to base yourself during Carnival.
Must-Do Experiences around St. Georges
- Go swimming in the calm waters of nearby Grand Anse Beach.
- Visited the Underwater Sculpture Park via Grenada Seafaris and be truly amazed at the individual groupings.
- Visit the house of Chocolate and enjoy the richest, densest, and most chocolatey brownie you’ve ever eaten.
- Walk the narrow Sendall Tunnel and its one-way traffic… but watch out for the cars.
- Visit Fort George, within its walls Grenada’s popular Prime Minister Maurice Bishop and his supporters were executed.
- Shop at the Market Square for fresh fruit, and vegetables while strolling the streets in the Market Square.